Claudette enjoys sharing new stories about our heritage and culture. Discover a glimpse into Barbadian heritage in the articles below.
- Trapped In Slavery? – The Jonathan Strong StoryThis account highlights the cruelty towards and suffering of Jonathan Strong and gives a glimpse into the workings of the British system of enslavement. This story, documenting his horrific experience is only but one such incidence that would be foundational to exposing the cruelty and dehumanization of the system of trafficking in humans for financial […]
- Martin Luther King Jr. – Patriarch and Leader of the Civil Rights Movement in the U.S. in the 1960sToday we at Discover Heritage Tours salute and celebrate the life and legacy of the great civil rights leader – Martin Luther King, Jr. Today, January 15, 2024, would have been the 95th birthday of this great stalwart; this day in his honour falls this year on the actual date of his birth. He was […]
- The Shifting Status of Enslavement … The Jonathan Strong StoryWhere am I? … Am I free or enslaved? … The year was 1765, when Jonathan Strong, a young, black man, was reportedly ‘badly beaten’ by his master and left unconscious in the gutter of a London street, near death. Strong was said to be about sixteen or seventeen years old. He was enslaved in […]
- Heritage Month in Barbados – Slave HospitalAs Barbados celebrates Heritage Month for the year 2023, there are a number of activities on island, with a focus on the ‘Season of Emancipation.’ To this end, a project to restore an old building on the current site of the Grantley Adams Memorial School, formerly West St. Joseph Secondary was launched on Thursday June […]
- The Right Excellent Errol Walton Barrow – A Barbadian HeroIt’s the month of January, in which as a nation we celebrate the birthday of Errol Walton Barrow. This day, January 21st is a national holiday in Barbados. This holiday serves to celebrate and honour Barrow’s stellar contribution to the building of our island nation, Barbados. Today, Saturday January 21, 2023, we celebrate what would […]
“Hello, I’m Claudette Levi-Farnum, a trained Historian and your tour guide at Discover Heritage Tours.”
Starting in Secondary School I’ve always had a love for history and storytelling and so I read and learned history facts as stories. This love led me to pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology and History and a Master of Arts in History from the University of the West Indies at Cave Hill campus in Barbados.
Today, in the delivery of the history of Barbados, I still combine my love for history and storytelling, conveying historical information in story form, spiked with a little drama. This makes it exciting and very palatable.
My goal in forming Discover Heritage Tours is to acquaint Barbadians and the world one tour at a time, about the rich history of our island home Barbados. I also look forward to engaging young Barbadian minds to impress on them the knowledge and pride of this country and its vast ancestral heritage.